Chemical leak shuts down Multi-Rec Centre

Callie Hermanson
Lakeside Leader

Commotion was had at the Multi-Recreation Centre (MRC) on Wednesday, July 11 as the centre was evacuated due to a small chemical leak.

Gary Roth, Director of Community Services for the Town of Slave Lake says the incident was a small ammonia chemical leak inside the arena
“Ammonia is used as an agent to cool the rinks’ ice plant and it is a very common method in Canada.”

The MRC’s safeguard detected the leak and set off the building’s alarm.

MRC staff were evacuated. Roth says the Lesser Slave Lake Regional Fire Service was called to come to treat the situation and check for signs of ammonia left behind.

Roth explains the building’s alarm was triggered by the MRC’s ventilation system drawing out the ammonia. The cause was a leak in one of the return valves.

Roth also says a refrigeration man from Edmonton had come up to make sure everything was running as it should be.

Roth added that the Summer Splash children’s camp is usually held in the area but thankfully they were not harmed as the group were on their way to the beach for a field trip.

Town staff will be meeting to discuss the incident and fill out reports on the matter. The MRC opened back up at 8:00 a.m. on July 12.

Members of the Lesser Slave Lake Regional Fire Service in hazmat suits checking the Multi-Rec Centre for any traces of ammonia that may have been left behind in the building.

Share this post

Post Comment