Court Report

Breaking into a crime scene earns accused 44 days in jail

Slave Lake Provincial Court
February 24, 2021
Judge G. R. Ambrose presiding

On the youth docket, a local teen pled guilty to failure or refusal to provide a breath sample to police during an early morning incident.

Local peace officers had stopped a speeding minivan in the industrial area of Slave Lake, the court heard. Upon making contact, the officer determined that there was a strong smell of alcohol from inside, there was a very drunk male passenger and the driver was showing signs of intoxication.

The driver stated that the drunken male was her boyfriend and she was trying to drive him home. The driver was unable to give a breath sample after several tries, at which time the two were taken to the RCMP detachment, where she failed to give a usable breath sample yet again.
The youth’s counsel asked for a conditional discharge along with a year’s driving suspension. However, Judge Ambrose decided that too much lenience would send the wrong message, and added a fine of $200 to the driving prohibition. He made the point of how dangerous what she had done was, and how she would have faced much stiffer penalties had she been an adult.

Bryan John Norris pled guilty to two failures to comply with release conditions. The matters arose when he and another individual were caught trying to break in to a crime scene.

On January 27, one day after their arrest at a residence in Canyon Creek that was raided by police, officers were once again summoned to the property to find Norris and another person who had been arrested the day before trying to break in, presumably to recover things left at the crime scene.

Norris was sentenced to 44 days, which was the time he already served in pre-trial custody and ordered to pay a $100 victim surcharge per offence.

Counsel entered guilty pleas to mischief damage and raising a false fire alarm on behalf of Tyson Lance Manybears. In the early morning hours of August 26, 2020 there was a fire alarm that went off at Thompson Landing apartments and the tenants had to evacuate. Upon investigation, police and fire fighters found no fire, but that the alarm had been set off and the fire extinguisher had been used. Security footage showed Manybears setting off the fire alarm and using the fire extinguisher on nothing, eventually throwing it down the stairs.

Manybears was intoxicated and high at the time of the offence. This escapade was part of a series of incidents which had gotten Manybears afoul of the law, most of which had already been dealt with. It was a joint submission that this should be added to the already standing probationary order under which Manybears was serving. He is to now serve 15 months of probation with the usual good conduct, sobriety and keeping the peace provisions. He is also prohibited from going near Thompson Landing.

Checking in from the Edmonton Remand Centre was Gordon C. Yellowknee, to answer to a long list of charges, eventually pleading guilty to five shoplifting charges, two for failure to comply with conditions and one of resisting a police officer.

On May 28, 2019, Yellowknee was in a local grocery store where he was caught taking food items without paying for them.

On July 16, 2019 he was caught stealing a bottle of vodka from a local liquor store.

On September 14, 2019 he stole a bottle of brandy from a local liquor store and was found passed out in such a state that officers had him transported to the hospital.

On November 19, 2019 he was picked up for the theft of hairspray from a local drug store.

On November 25 he stole a 40 oz. bottle of Smirnoff vodka, wearing a baseball cap and hoodie so he wouldn’t be recognized. Later, on September 24, 2020, he was stopped by officers who knew he had numerous warrants for his arrest, at which time he resisted arrest, struggling with officers so that it took several of them to get handcuffs on him.

Yellowknee’s obvious struggle with alcohol addiction is long-standing. He says he started drinking at nine years of age and has had a struggle with it since. He says he wants to pursue residential treatment for his addiction, and would go between more or less house arrest at the home of his aunt in Athabasca and serious treatment in any place or form his probation officer might require.

He was ordered to undergo 210 days of house arrest and treatment and to be of good behaviour in hopes that he can finally stay the course long enough to get a handle on his addiction.

Share this post

Post Comment