To the Editor:
Since last November and throughout 2020, our strengthened Conservative Opposition has been holding the Trudeau government to account and we will keep putting forward constructive solutions to get you the help you need.
Here are a few of the results Conservatives have gotten for Canadians:
• Stopped Justin Trudeau’s massive power grab at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Called for the mandatory quarantine of all travellers and stronger border measures.
• Proposed constructive solutions to fix the Liberals’ COVID-19 aid programs, like increasing the CEWS from 10 per cent to 75 per cent,, making the CERB more flexible so no one is penalized for going back to work, and making it easier to access the CEBA.
• Advocated for small businesses and workers, including proposing giving small businesses back the GST they remitted in the last year.
• Secured more COVID-19 support for seniors, students and expectant mothers.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Liberals have either been wrong or slow to act:
- Slow to close our borders – while other countries were rushing to close theirs.
- Wrong to dump critical medical supplies – failing to replace them.
- Wrong to abandon the oil and gas sector – promising help within “hours or days” but offering nothing.
- Wrong not to provide an economic update or fully fund the Auditor General’s Office – so you can see how your tax dollars are being spent.
- Wrong to shut down Parliament – refusing to let MPs provide crucial oversight.
- The Liberals’ sky-high taxes, wasteful spending and massive deficits put Canada in an incredibly weak position before the pandemic began.
- After refusing for weeks to provide an economic update, Trudeau now only plans to release a “snapshot” next month.
- According to the Parliamentary Budget Officer, this year Trudeau will pile on at least a staggering $256 billion.
- By the time this crisis ends, the national debt could top $1 trillion.
MP for Peace River-Westlock