As of February 28, the M.D. of Lesser Slave River is back down to 14 COVID-19 deaths.
On that day, the death of a man in his 40s was removed from the list of COVID-19 deaths. Earlier, his death was listed as probably from COVID-19. Most COVID deaths are listed as confirmed. He could have been from the M.D., Town of Slave Lake or Sawridge First Nation.
From Feb. 26 to March 3, seven people from the AHS North Zone died from COVID, all cases were confirmed. These were a woman in her 40s, a man in his 50s, a woman and a man in their 60s, a woman in her 70s, and two women 80 or older.
None were from LSR or its closest neighbours. They were from the M.D. of Peace (two) and one each from M.D. of Greenview, City of Grande Prairie, Grande Prairie County, Smoky Lake County, and Thornhill County.
The COVID outbreak at the Slave Lake homeless shelter and one in Athabasca ended. This lowered the number of outbreaks to 12 in LSR and its closest neighbours. Of these, two were in Slave Lake (Vanderwell Heritage Place and continuing care). Outbreaks stay on the list until four weeks after the final case.
From Feb. 26 to Mar. 3, Big Lakes County was the only close neighbour to LSR which increased.
COVID cases from the eight days from Feb. 26 to March 3 (active on March 3):
- Lesser Slave River – 19 active (four new, six recovered, & one probable COVID death removed) – two outbreaks (one removed).
- Big Lakes County – 75 active (38 new & 23 recovered) – two outbreaks.
- Westlock County – 45 active (16 new, 32 recovered, & two died) – four outbreaks.
- M.D. of Opportunity – 12 active (six new & nine recovered) – one outbreak.
- Woodlands County – one active (one recovered removed – may have been a wrong address).
- Whitecourt – 17 active (nine new & 13 recovered) – one outbreak.
- Athabasca County – five active (four new & three recovered) – two outbreaks (one removed).
- Northern Sunrise County – eight active (two new & 11 recovered).
The number of cases may be higher as COVID numbers on alberta.ca only include PCR tests. Not everyone is eligible for PCR tests.